We love Cosplay! All things costume design, prop making, photos, and maybe a few random ramblings in between!

Saturday, January 23, 2016

Salt Lake Comicon

So as I said in my previous post, in September, Lainee, Mercy, and I all went to Salt Lake Comicon. None of us had been before and none of us knew the city area, so it was an adventure, to say the least.


Also, when you cosplay in a dorm, you make do with what you can. Even if that includes using your desk as a makeshift sewing table and spreading fabric and other materials and pieces all over your living room. Luckily my roommates are gracious and don't hate me for making a mess. (I hope.)

The main panel of guests at SLCC was the Captain America cast, so they had Chris Evans, Sebastian Stan, Hayley Atwell, and Anthony Mackie. We met them all.

Lainee wore her original Captain America costume. Going off this theme, Mercy and I decided we'd play along. Therefore we became Commodore Canada (inspired by Canadian Nathan Fillion's response to Captain America), and CapĂ­tan Mexico. Yeah, we know we're hilarious.

I made out costumes in the same style as Lainee's, a paneled skirt sewed to a solid colour top emblazoned with the flag's symbol. So all of us ended up with red and white striped skirts with a sash. Lainee's top was blue with a white/grey star, mine was red with a white maple leaf, and Mercy's was green with the Mexican seal hand-painted on with fabric paint. Mercy and I both had shields with the maple leaf and the Mexican seal as well. I'm pretty proud of how they turned out.

The finished product



In the process of painting Mercy's top






Lainee and Mercy's "We just met Sebastian Stan and Chris Freaking Evans" faces. Since Lainee insists on taking a picture of me like this every time I meet a celebrity favourite of mine, I retaliated. 

The first day of the Con I ended up going by myself, as they weren't in town until Friday, and it was an ordeal. I got lost about six times. 
I went simple and just dressed up in a costume I already had, a Hogwarts student from my own house, Slytherin. Surprisingly, I got a lot of comments on it. I only have one picture though and it was after I'd gotten home. I don't know what I did with my cape, it's not in this picture. But I was wearing a black cape with a Slytherin patch on it and it kept flowing behind me and knocking everything over that I walked past. Oops. 


Also, some generic pics I took at the Con. 




And some pics from when we were all out and about. 

We were all so exhausted on Saturday that we weren't bothering with costumes. I was really sick that day, too. 
On the left is Kimi, one of my best friends who I've known for half my life. She didn't come to Comicon with us but she came to visit me anyways.
 She's scared of elevators
Lainee and I absolutely love this show, and they perfectly match out personalities, so much that our nicknames for each other are literally Castle and Beckett. So when we saw these ID badges, we had to get them.
My Comicon pass with added Captain Hook mini keychain because TOO CUTE

And a good time was had by all.

~Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment